Friday, October 16, 2009

Getting Started

I have decided I need to join the 21st century and learn to blog.
My wonderful friend, Jen Mortensen, is a terrific blogger, and I see how her thoughts and pictures will serve as a family log. I'm hoping that I, too, can create a collection of stories, events, pictures and thoughts that we can use to record our family history.

Over the past three weeks, we have had sick kids! H1N1 has been circling around our house like a dark cloud. I think Caroline had it first, missing a week of school, followed by Tyler, then Zac, then Caroline again and Matt somewhere in between. Finally, after about two weeks, when Anna and I were the only ones who had remained healthy, Anna succumbed during my week off work. What fun taking care of a sick one year old all week! But I was grateful to be home, because I really do hate missing cuddles when the little ones are sick. Fingers crossed, I think we might all be better now.

On a personal note, I recently experienced my most difficult time in my professional life. Although I've only been an OB/Gyn for three years, I have struggled with patients through significant loss, but none have affected me the way Sara has. Sara was a vibrant, generous, loving young woman who instantly made you smile. I was lucky enough to have taken care of her during her difficult pregnancy and thrilled to celebrate the birth of her beautiful baby girl, Chloe. After fighting breast cancer, overcoming chemotherapy and surviving her complicated pregnancy and delivery, Sara passed away just two weeks after her delivery. Sara, Brady and Chloe have made me a better physician. I don't have the heart birthmark that Chloe was blessed with, but I do carry Sara in my heart.

If you are interested, their blog is: http://bandssullivan.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment